Schedulicity

Schedule online now

Sunday, July 31, 2011

naked foot 5K

It was a quiet week at Mueller Massage and Pilates. During a brief break in the humidity I went for a much needed power walk. Moving deeper into menopause my desire has been to improve my self-care efforts. Massage is a physically demanding line of work, similar to weight training, and requires a strong training program to be effective as a therapist. Walking is my first choice in exercise options. I headed out the door with my ipod looking forward to a much needed break away from my office. Surprised by my own enthusiasm and inspired by the amazing front gardens on both sides of Garfield Ave,  I started to do intervals alternating between brisk walking and relaxed running. The process reminded me of  chi running.  A runner had come to me for beginning lessons in Tai Chi Sword introducing me to this unique method combining the principles of Tai Chi and long distance running to prevent injuries. Originally designed to eliminate typical running injuries , the creator discovered that it also maximized performance. As I applied the basic instructions I noticed how relaxed I felt. My breath was slow and even, I felt exhilarated rather than stressed. As I moved back and forth between running and walking the time flew by and my timer went off. I turned and headed back to my office for a quick shower before my next appointment. My son had invited me to join him for the Naked Foot 5K on August 20. In my endorphin drenched state I sent him a short text to sign me up! I have three weeks to train, but I am someone who likes to have a deadline in easy sight. I study for tests the night before it is on my desk, and I write final papers the week they are due.

No comments:

Post a Comment